Some Assembly Required...Tuesday 8/30

Tuesday
Yay for a less adventurous Tuesday!  Today we went to town (downtown St. George's).  To do that, you have to take an SGU bus to the Texaco on the highway, and catch a "reggae bus" or city bus, depending on who you ask, to the city.  Jesse, Rachel and I hopped off at the Texaco where the buses seem to linger in hopes of picking up SGU students.  But we were meeting Kat there who wasn't there yet, so we didn't commit to any bus.  But two different buses committed to us.  Here, there are what we back in the states call vans.  These vans either have a sticker that say what bus route they follow or say taxi (or sometimes don't have either and try to pretend they are a bus, but they're actually going to charge you more than either).  The van has a driver and a conductor.  The conductor's job is to man the non-automatic sliding door, collect the passenger's money, and make sure that the driver knows where to stop for the passengers (he's the middle man and the second set of eyes).  A lot of conductors will also open the door and try to flag you down, jump out of the vehicle and usher you in, etc.  Anyway, Kat wasn't down yet, and we were tired of getting hassled and trying to figure out if these were buses/taxis.  So I called Kat and asked her if we could come see her apartment.  We wanted to kill time so both of them would disappear.  Kat showed us her off campus apartment (which I really like), her dog, Gunther, and all his insane tricks...like closing doors and playing dead.  Then we finally decided to head to town, sure enough the annoying buses had left and another bus passing before we had even exited the fenced in driveway had stopped, exited, and held up traffic so that we could get in his van.  We didn't flag him down or anything.  Great service, I guess?

In town, we went to a few shops in search for some cheaper kitchen items than what you find close to SGU. I got a larger pot and a drying rack.  We also stopped for some lunch in what Kat referred to as a "Food Court;" I would call it a cafeteria.  I also bought a bootleg DVD (that might be all they sell here) for $5ec ($2usd) of the newest Harry Potter.  Mark and I want to see it and figured this way we don't have to rely on the streaming internet to watch it!  It's no longer playing at the 3 screen movie theater here.  :(


The mall that empties into the cruise terminal.  I hear to stay away from jan-march because that's cruise season and they up the prices.  It's already really overpriced!

Those are your DVD selections!  Taped up to the outside of the supermarket... And what you buy is a DVD with a sleeve and someone who hand wrote the title of the movie on.  



Lunch: pineapple-orange chicken, rice pilaf, and macaroni pie

Dish drying rack bought from this trip to the market.  

Bathroom shelves or "vegitable cart" bought from the first trip to the market.  If you look closely, you can see how well things don't fit together... 
Drying rack getting some use!

I took Mark's computer to The Computer Store (literally the name).  I spent the rest of the afternoon reviewing stuff in preparation for classes.  I bought all my books off amazon for about $13 a piece, and downloaded the free computer kindle so I can read it.  Mark spent his night time tearing apart his computer and researching what to do to fix it (instead of studying).  I was frustrated because he was in a bad mood about his computer and using my computer so I had nothing else to do!  So, I fell asleep at 8:30pm.  I normally blame this on the time zone difference, but that's actually 7:30pm back at home, so I really can't!  It was just a long day (walking around in the heat of the morning really takes a lot out of you).  That and it gets dark before 6:30!