Some Assembly Required...Wednesday 8/31

Wednesday should have been more relaxing!  But...it's one of those days you end up standing around in the heat a lot and you're just exhausted from the sun being so close to the earth here!  I started my day by looking on the post (where students can advertise things they want to sell), and I was happy to have found a laptop posted that morning!  I emailed the guy from Mark's log-in so that he would get the response and see it (he takes his iPhone to class and can check email in the breaks).  I started the day by headed back to TCS, Ltd. (The Computer Store).  They had called the day before and said some stuff in heavy Grenadian accent along the lines of Mark's computer has a fried motherboard and they won't pay to get a new one shipped here, though if I get one shipped here, they will install it.  But I figured I'd pick it up anyway.  However, Mark left me with a series of questions to get answered.  Rachel came with me (she ran my errand with me and I was going to run hers with her).  We walked in and I began asking my questions, but I was getting a lot of attitude in response.  I thought they thought I was a clueless, pesky female who doesn't know anything about computers.  It took awhile before we were speaking on the same level.  And finally I had them check Mark's hard drive (which doesn't appear to be corrupted), but learned that even if we put in a new motherboard, it's not guaranteed to work.  And somehow the AC adapter is shot, too.  I explain that while I understand what they are saying, I still have to get through my questions my husband gave me or I will have to come back to bother them some more.  Anyway, it turned into a pleasant conversation where the guy who owns the store and is communicating from his workers to me (though they are right there and I could easily, and in some cases was, talk straight to them...).  He was born in Grenada but lived most of his life in Southern California.  He is retiring here but still flies back to the states quite frequently.  He has a daughter doing her masters in graphic design at a school in Georgia.  Yadah, yadah, yadah.  I ended up leaving Mark's computer there because there was a possibility of us buying the laptop from the post that I had seen that morning and I could have them transfer the data from the hard drive over.  (I already paid a $25 diagnostic fee [$10us], and they would credit it towards the service).  And then the guy gave me his number so that Mark could call him in the afternoon to ask any remaining questions.

Rachel and I then walked across the street, (by the way, they have the safest crosswalks here--people never stop so politely in the states), to wait for the SGU bus to take us back to campus.  This is normally an every-10-minute bus, but they've been quite unreliable lately and that was no exception.  We waited over half an hour in direct sunlight.  But we chatted with a Grenadian woman who works as a security guard on campus.  And discovered a new SO who is running a graphic design business.  Waiting for buses isn't all bad!  The woman seems to love talking to students (and complaining about the buses...) and is very proud of her home country.  We talked about the recent 400m world champion who won two days ago and how she loves that the world is talking about Grenada.  Well, those who follow Olympic-qualifying races anyway.  The Grenadians love it when you say you like their country, but then again, why wouldn't you!  People are so friendly (minus the bus/taxi hounds) and the scenery is wonderful!  Anyway, the bus comes and this is an awful long blog already.  And because of the delay and volume of traffic, the few of us took the last seats available and got lucky we didn't have to wait for another bus!

Then, Rachel had to meet and Indian girl and her mother who were selling lots of spices before moving back to the UK to restart her med school.  For this, we needed to get off back at campus and then get on the L'ans Aux-Epines (Lance-a-peen) bus and get off at hummingbird dr.  And even though the driver didn't know where that was, and there was no street sign, another student on the bus helped us to find it!  Her apartment was soOo big!  But it was also probably 85 degrees.  And they were charging way too much for half used bags of spices and buckets of rice.  But we got a few things.  Some towels, I got some clothes and hangers, Rachel got some sunscreen and bug spray, etc.  Then we walked across the street to catch the bus back.  This is an every-15-20-minute bus.  But at least we had a beautiful shady tree to wait under.  Anyway, a student was driving by and offered to give us a ride.  Normally, you would say no, but in Grenada things are just different (I think Mark will kill me if I ever accept again).  And so we got a little bit different lift back to campus.  This was my third or fourth time being in a car in Grenada, and let's just say windows and interior are luxuries   And I'm still not used to the driver being on the right side!
Then Rachel and I walked up the hill to the bus stop where locals will sell food.  On Mondays and Wednesdays, the veggie guy comes, and we both bought fruit, Guavas, from him (he had mostly fruits that day but everyone refers to him as the veggie man?).  And he let us sample a very tart passion fruit.  Then we decided not to buy them!  This is about a 3" diameter sphere, chopped in half.  Apparently it's ok to eat the seeds, though it was all pretty bad.  :-/
We then took a break, cooled off, etc.
And then to finish off my very tiring, errand-running day, we headed to Food Fair, the cheapest grocery store around.  On the third bus for the day (the Mont Toute, pronounced montoo), we ran into 2 other SOs who were headed home for the day!  One of which was Emily who had offered to show me her apartment a few days earlier.  So after shopping at food fair, we walked the short walk to Bougainvillea Apartments (still trying to figure out the pronunciation of this...). They are not as nice as what's in the L'anse Aux-Epines area, but they are cheaper, too.  So it's a possibility if we have to move off campus...

Then we caught the "bus" home, and even though this is an SGU bus, it's not the big one like you normally take.  It's a van like the taxis and buses!  haha, but it's SGU and no charge.
My night ended with Mark calling TCS, Ltd. (turns out they thought I thought their workers were incompetent--honestly don't know how they got that at all!) and my dad to reason through laptop issues while I cooked pizza in a frying pan (yes, you read that right; it's what you resort to without an oven!) using pita bread, left over spaghetti sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese (rare find!), and pepperoni.  We were happy with it!  Also, the internet worked like unusually well that night, which was awesome and not frustrating!  Yay for a night when things go just right!